Event Itinerary 2021:
Distance: Swim 1.2 miles Bike 56 miles Run 15 miles
Full Distance Triathletes have 12 hours to complete the course to recieve title of: Tongass ToughMan
The entry fee is $180 for both Individual Triathletes and Relay Teams
To prevent the event from financial loss, the entry fee is nonrefundable irrespective of your reason for cancelation. Only Exemption is Race cancelation.
Race Start and End: Wrangell City Dock
Bike Course will have 3 Aid stations at miles 16/25/42 Run Course will have 1 aid station at mile 6.7. Gatorade Endurance and Water will be provided to refill athletes bottles. On course nutrition includes GU gels, Cliff Shots, bananas and oranges
Race bags are provided for Individual Triathletes and labeled with athletes given number for T1 and T2.
Cyclists/Runners are advised to carry refillable bottles or bags for water and/or sports drink, clothing appropriate to expected whether conditions, and a cell phone for emergency services
Be aware that the run and bike legs are open to ordinary traffic
Athletes must attend mandatory briefing and complete check-in process to include bike/gear drop off and packet pick-up @ Wrangell Community Gym
Waiver must be reviewed and signed during check-in before cleared to participate in event.
Headphones, headsets, walkmans, ipods, mp3 players, or personal audio devices, etc. are not to be carried or worn at any time during the race (with the exception of phones, which are permitted for the sole purpose of emergency contact services)
All personal equipment and belongings taken out onto the course must stay on the athlete or be carried throughout the entirety of the event. No garbage, clothing, etc. shall be thrown on the course.
The use of flippers, neoprene, or any items that would aid in flotation or forward movement of swimmer are prohibited.
Helmets are required to be worn and chin straps must be fastened at all times while on the bike
One bike per cyclist, to be used throughout the entirety of the bike course
Bikes and helmets are required to be tagged with provided number stickers
Cyclists shall not cross a solid yellow center line for any reason. Cyclists must obey all applicable traffic laws at all times.
Runners must stay on board walk on applicable sections with exception of letting runners pass.
All athletes are required to wear race numbers at all times during the run. Numbers must be clearly visible at all times. Numbers may not be altered in any way that prevents a clear identification. DO NOT transfer your number to any other athlete or take a number from an athlete that is not competing.
Trekking poles permitted for safety but must remain with runner throughout the entirety of the run course
Race Finish/Post Race
Course closure is 9PM to allow the course to be cleared of any participants before night fall.
Individual Triathlete Racers must finish before 6PM to receive title of Tongass ToughMan, but may be allowed to continue and finish the course until the 9PM course closure.
Full Distance Triathletes will receive their medals upon crossing the finish line. Relay Team members will receive their event specific medal upon completion of their event.
Southeast Alaska is a temperate rainforest, so it is not highly unlikely to recieve rain and/or wind race day so prepare accordingly.
Although you are undertaking the Tongass ToughMan at your own risk, it will be a hard, epic, and emotional experience and safety is a priority so medical staff will be on hand throughout the race and are a simple phone call away, as well as course volunteers.
Athletes Family and Friends
Triathlon is a unique community and we know how important friends and family are in the encouragement process in your journey of becoming a Tongass ToughMan. It’s an event of epic proportions and it is in our hopes to be an unforgettable experience. Guests are warmly welcomed to attend the pre-race events and aid in helping their athlete through the check in process. Food, beverage, and lounging will be available in the community gym race day, as well as current race updates. If you are visiting Wrangell, we hope you have considered spending post-race days in town to join Wrangell in celebrating the nations independence with its infamous multi-day 4th of July Celebration.
Release from Liability
In registering for the event, I have read, understood and agreed to the Release From Liability Statement below. (At the time of registration, you will be asked to agree to the following):
As an Athlete:
1. I am solely responsible for my personal possessions and all related equipment during the event.
2. I am aware of the potential risks associated with participating in the Tongass ToughMan Triathlon and undertake this event at my own risk.
3. I am aware that all roads are open to public and traffic and must therefore adhere strictly to standard highway legislation.
4. I confirm that I am medically and physically able to compete in this Triathlon event.
5. I confirm that all my equipment is in sound working order and am aware the race officials can withdraw me at any point should this not be the case
6. I have read and understood the course maps, will be present for all the Race Briefing and take full responsibility for following the correct routes.
7. I may be removed from the race at any point in time if I do not make the stated cut off points or if race / medical officials deem me unable to complete the event.
8. I grant Tongass ToughMan full permission to use free of charge any photos and/ or film taken of me and/or my friends, family and supporters prior/during or directly following the event. For use in promotion of the event in print and / or video via web and all forms of social media or TV and video.
9. I have read and agree to comply with the rules and regulations of the organizers of the Tongass ToughMan
10. I indemnify the organization against any claims that could possibly result from participation in the Tongass ToughMan event.
11. I acknowledge that the organization has the right to change the course at any time for safety reasons.